If I'm ever going to write a book about my life, don't be surprised if I mention the name Skellefteå a billion times.Play video portrait
We’re sitting together outside one of the small cottages in Bonnstan. So far, English has always been our common language, when we’ve run in to each outer, but today, as I’m making a video portrait of Agnes she is challenging her self to talk Swedish. A language she had never heard 1,5 years ago. As support she has brought a couple of notes in Swedish, just to feel a bit more comfortable, but before we’ve even started, those papers falls between two planks on the porch and disappears out of reach.
– Oooh, that will make this even harder, Agnes sighs. But just as quickly as those papers disappeared, Agnes is smiling again.
Agnes was born in Chodziez, Polen, and decided to move to Skellefteå, Sweden when her husband got a chance to study, as one of just 4 students at one of the most respected wood engineering master programs in the world.
– When you move, everything’s different, Agnes explains. A new language, a new job. You have no friends, and you need to start living day by day to make small achievements. It’s not easy, but very thrilling to just start over.
– I have studied Albanian and Macedonian, Agnes says. That’s not something that is really requested in Skellefteå. But Agnes is an energetic and very social person with a lot of curare, and she has had a couple of different jobs already, and now she’s actually starting up her own company. But let’s get back to that later.
– Of course I’m interested in knowing more about your relation to Skellefteå. That’s me asking a very open question to Agnes.
– I always get that question. Agnes is smiling.
– Why a city far up north, where there’s snow six months a year. Why not a city somewhere else in the world, where the sun always shine. It’s not super easy to answer that, but I think that Skellefteå challenged me. Got me questioning things in my life. Made me find my self after reducing all noise in life. I’ve never experienced so many new and unique things in such a short period of time before, and I just love the arctic lifestyle.
– I’ve lived in Kosovo, Macedonia, Albania, Polen but I’ve never felt so at home as in Skellefteå. I have everything here that makes me happy. People carrying. Beautiful nature, and the entire Swedish Lapland within reach.
– Also, I think that I appreciate the warm summers more after a cold and snowy winter. If I ever write a book about my life, don’t get surprises if the name Skellefteå appears a billion times.
Agnes eyes are constantly glowing. She looks passionate and full of live. I’m happy to see people like Agnes getting drawn to the place on earth that I take for granted.
– I could state in court that that the most important thing in life is a passion for trying new things, Anges says.
– For me that passion makes me push harder. To wake up a bit earlier in the mornings ready for a new day. For me that passion, is right now, to learn about the arctic way of living and to find my own role in Skellefteå.
Agnes ansökte i sista sekund till Skellefteå-tävlingen Vinn ett AB tillsammans med sin man Konrad. De hade små förhoppningar om att vinna men det var just vad de gjorde, och nu har de precis startat Feels Like North.
In the last minute, Agnes, together with hur husband Konrad, applied in a Skellefteå based competition to win her own corporation. They didn’t expect anything but got both nominated and finally the winners. So now they are just starting up their own business, Feels Like North.
– I’ve never had any plans to start my own business, Agnes tells me.
– I’ve never come up with that perfect business plan. But now, after 1,5 years in Sweden I feel so creative and inspired so I just decided to go for it. Our plan is to create interior design products. Such as espresso cups and reindeer horn shaped lamps. Everything constructed in wood. Agnes is showing with her hands to illustrate her ideas.
– Our products are inspired by Swedish Lapland. But since we have an other background we’re looking at these products with new eyes which results in unique products. We’re planing to travel around in Swedish Lapland to find more ideas and inspiration.
– Everything that we produce are built with resources and materials from the Skellefteå area. It feels good that we know who the owners and producers of the wood or wool are. It’s so nice that this small town can give us everything that we need to run our business.
When me and Agnes has talked for 45 minutes about her restart, I realised that I’m quite moved. I’m starting to consider what it would be like, to move to Poland just like that but quickly realises that I’m not close to as brave as Agnes. And to be honest. I feel quite at home in Skellefteå, me as well.