– It’s good for the environment of course, but going to a flea market is also kind of like doing detective work. You’re always looking for something but you never know what you’re going to find, you will often find nothing — and sometimes you find something you had no idea that you wanted...
IN RECENT YEARS many things have happened in the second hand scene in Skellefteå. They were once something for a select few, but flea markets and second hand shops now provide a popular summer activity.
– It used to be easier to find real bargains, says Tova, a true upcycling enthusiast. Now, those who run second hand shops know everything about the things that come in. They charge accordingly for them.
However, since many of the second hand shops are based on charitable principles, Tova feels that the rising prices are not so bad. Flea markets on the other hand, there you can really find bargains. Especially during the summer.
– First and foremost, there are the large, established flea markets. Like the one in Folkparken in Skellefteå. It’s fantastic and draws lots of market vendors and visitors, or the one in the village, Hej. There you can almost certainly find a couple of bargains. Personally, though, I am just as happy to get in my car and drive around looking for the small, hand-painted signs letting you know that there’s a flea market nearby. You know, in summer, flea markets show up where you least expect them.
Tova explains her love for upcycling like this:
– It’s good for the environment of course, but going to a flea market is also kind of like doing detective work. You’re always looking for something but you never know what you’re going to find, you will often find nothing — and sometimes you find something you had no idea that you wanted. The idea of upcycling is more about finding untapped possibilities than about finding complete, usable objects.
• Röda Korset Kupan Centrum
• Södra Järnvägsgatan/Trädgårdsgatan, tfn. +46 (0) 910-101 98
• Pingstkyrkans Second Hand, Högströmsgatan 16, tfn. +46 (0) 910-69 90 56
• Emmaboden Storgatan 36, tfn. +46 (0) 910-73 71 91
• Myrorna i Skellefteå Solbacken, tfn. +46 (0) 910-73 38 56
• Solkraft Rondellen Boviksvägen 1, tfn. +46 (0) 910-735 000
• Skellefteå Stadsmission Bogatan 35, Skelleftehamn, tfn.+46 (0) 910-20 00 96
• Anteak Annastigen 6, tfn. +46 (0) 73-8072708
• Begagnatvaruhuset Kustvägen 3, Bureå, tfn. +46 (0) 70-331 03 15
• Loppis Hej Jörn, tfn.+46 (0) 70-297 06 63
• Folkparken i Skellefteå, tfn. +46 (0) 70-348 35 00
• Loppis på Stackgrönnan, tfn. +46 (0) 76-793 54 28